Sunday, April 14, 2013

Spring Break: A Reason to Go to In-N-Out


Yuma, Arizona. When hearing the term Spring Break, this hotbed of solar energy is more than likely not a destination that comes to mind. However, it is where I spent the majority of my off-week—a deviation from normalcy I desperately needed.   Many folks flock to beaches and touristy hipster towns, but I sought a different experience.

My trip to see family in Yuma is always centered around the same focal point: my habitual trip to In-N-Out Burger. This solitary pilgrimage is the highlight of my month, I rarely make it past the first reachable location before pulling over.
                                                                              
But Nigel, isn’t it about seeing your family? The 3x3 burger is as much a part of my familial conceptions as any person could ever be.

A lot of people would probably feel uncomfortable or awkward sitting alone in a booth at a burger joint. I fantasize about this scenario weeks in advance. After I place my order, I locate a table that will provide the ideal dining experience and perform the routine set-up. One packet of salt, two packets of black pepper, a healthy portion of ketchup, and a precautionary but not environmentally-destructive amount of napkins.

My number is called.

At the moment I hear the digits that correspond to my receipt, I feel a fluttering sensation in my stomach. The flavors I've imagined for weeks are suddenly seconds away, and I rush in a euphoric haze to swiftly reap the benefits of my longing.

The freshly-made fries are spread out evenly on the tray. Salt and pepper is applied. It is time.

                                                                       

My authentic In-N-Out experience could never accommodate the process of photography. The raw, lusty impatience to devour my burger and fries triumphs over any yearnings to provide a snapshot of the moment. Come to think of it, why would I ever want to see a picture of the perfect proportion of ground beef to cheese? This image has no value as a standalone; without the aroma of sauce and the crunch of fresh lettuce, it is nothing more than a torture device.
                                             
If I am ever captured and held hostage, don’t even waste your time with water-boarding  The photograph of a hot In-N-Out meal coupled with even the faintest possibility of realizing it would fill my body with more anguish than any man-made device could ever hope to elicit.

Perhaps my affinity for In-N-Out could be perceived as over-the-top by some.  

To me, the people of the Southwest who are fortunate enough to be blessed with this culinary mecca are grossly unappreciative of the greatness at their fingertips.   

No comments:

Post a Comment